Safety is more than an attitude at Top Grade Construction. It is the primary core value engrained in our culture. There is no job so important, nor any service so urgent, that we cannot take time to work safely. To this end, every effort is made in the interest of accident prevention and health preservation. We approach every project with the same unwavering commitment to safety to ensure that our employees, clients, and the general public benefit from the highest standards of protection at all times.
Top Grade’s dedicated safety department has developed specific protocol to encourage and enforce safe practices in every aspect of our business. With an extensive range of certifications and over 40 years of experience in health and safety program management, our team of professionals is one of the best in the construction industry.
Through the years, our emphasis on safety has been recognized by numerous industry awards and recognition, including
- Safe Contractor of the Year: 1995, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, and 2007 - Engineering & Utility Contractors Association (EUCA)
- Safest Contractor: 15 of the 17-month duration while accumulating 145,000 man hours without incident - GE/CalPine Inland Empire Energy Plant Project
- 2001 California Trucking Association's 3rd Place Award for Fleet Safety
- 1999 National Green Contractor Award
- Experience Modification Rate (EMR) - Well below the national contractor average
Education and Training
Comprehensive safety education and training is an ongoing focus at Top Grade. Our extensive safety development programs include:
- Daily Safe Plan of Action (SPA) meetings
- Supervisor monthly safety education and training
- ClickSafety™ online training
- Annual First Aid/CPR certification
- Competent Person/OSHA 30- and 10-hour training
- Hazwoper 40-hour training and 8-hour refreshers
- Fork lift training
- Flagger and traffic control training
- Respirator training
- Emergency vehicle operation
- Safety alert
Top Grade’s STAR (Safety Through Action, Rewards) Program offers valuable gifts and recognition awards to employees that work together to achieve superior safety performance through proactive behavior.
Driver Check Program
Our fleet of over 170 company vehicles is covered by the Driver Check Program. At any time, motorists may call the numbers marked on our vehicles to report Top Grade driver performance. By holding ourselves accountable for vehicle safety, we help protect our employees and those around us on the roads we share.
Each day, our goal is to ensure that every employee is provided a safe work environment. We must also deliver outstanding service to our customers by preventing injuries, property loss, and damage. With pre-employment drug and alcohol testing, as well as random testing throughout the year, Top Grade’s zero-tolerance program fosters a healthy workplace for all.